Welcome to the Health Disparities lesson. This lesson will present facts and concepts related to the differences in the quality of healthcare provided to, and the health outcomes of, various groups within the population.
In this lesson, we will discuss disparities based on socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity and culture and will consider individual, provider and systems contributions to health disparities. Possible ways to address or eliminate health disparities will also be offered.
A case story will illustrate the kinds of reasons that health disparities may exist.
What you will learn
After you complete this lesson you will be able to
do the following:
- Define socioeconomic status, poverty, race, ethnicity and culture
- Discuss existing disparities in the provision of healthcare in and healthcare outcomes
- Describe the individual, provider and systems contributions to health disparities
- Identify ways to minimize or eliminate health disparities
Getting the most from this lesson
To learn the most from this lesson we recommend that
you approach it in the following way:
- Go through the lesson by using the side bar links. Proceed through
the side bar items from top to bottom. Take the quiz last.
- Before you begin, consider various health care settings with which you are familiar and the range of patients who have used these settings
- Reflect on the quality of care you believe patients received and any differences in care that you perceived
- It would be a good idea to refer back to the Core
Concepts in Cultural Competence” introductory lesson
on cultural competency when needed as you proceed through
this lesson. This can
by returning to the home page and selecting the Core Concepts
in Cultural Competence lesson.