to Rivka Cohen Case Study. This
lesson will present concepts and issues related to cultural and religious factors
as they affect medical decision-making and disease management.
This lesson highlights the importance for providers to be aware of major role that religion and spirituality may have in a patient’s or family’s response to health and illness. The impact of some religious beliefs is well known such as the refusal of blood products by members Jehovah’s Witness. Others, such as the number and type of genetic illnesses in the more isolated Amish population may not be so well known.
Religious beliefs can impact a person’s health
care practices in a variety of ways and may not be congruent with the
scientific medical model. The centerpiece for this lesson is a case
study involving a six-year-old Hasidic Jewish girl with cystic
fibrosis named Rivka Cohen who is starting school in the fall.
This case study and the following learning activities will allow you
as a practitioner to apply these factors to a real life situation and
show you how to assess a person’s religious beliefs and integrate
them into their medical care.
What you will learn
After you complete this lesson you will be able to
do the following:
- Identify cultural and religious values and how they may affect patients’ perception of healthcare providers and disease management.
- Discuss how cultural and religious beliefs may influence Hasidic
Jewish patients’ desire to hide or conceal medical information.
- Develop culturally/religiously appropriate interventions that may be effective in improving medical care for patients.
Getting the most from this lesson
To learn the most from this lesson we recommend that
you approach it in the following way:
- Go through the lesson by using the side bar links. Proceed through
the side bar items from top to bottom. Take the quiz last.
- It would be a good idea to refer back to the Core
Concepts in Cultural Competence” introductory lesson
on cultural competency when needed as you proceed through
this lesson. This can
by returning to the home page and selecting the Core Concepts
in Cultural Competence lesson.